Picture this: a gold shop (Poh Kong or Wah Chan) in a shopping mall, you at the age of 5 holding your mother’s hand. The shop keeper shows you an array of beautiful bejewelled earrings and after you choose a pair, you are sat down with a sudden overwhelming dread as the shop assistant starts to mark your ears. Suddenly your ear feels numb as she sprays something on it and then PAK!, a deafening sound encompasses your whole head. Ta-da! Holes are forever punctured on your body in the name of beauty & vanity!
If you still have no idea what we’re talking about, we are of course referring to every female’s rite of passage: getting their first piercing. But why stop at just once? As the trend of body modifications slowly becomes the norm in Malaysia, it’s only appropriate to embrace it. However, with that in mind, gold shops shouldn’t be on your list for places to go get pierced anymore. A report done by the National Environmental Health Association states how piercing guns (typically used by these kinds of shops) don’t meet standard health requirements and have been shown to produce greater rates of infection, complications, and disease transmission compared to getting a piercing with a sterilized needle.
Here at The Cool Bears, we have compiled a list of reputable piercing shops in KL to ensure your piercing procedure ensues without a flaw (or a disfigurement, in this case).
1. Attic Jewelry & Piercing
Attic in Sunway Pyramid
Almost like paying homage to gold shops, Attic outlets can be found in shopping malls like Sunway Pyramid, One Utama, and Dataran Pahlawan, Melaka. It first started its body piercing operations in Melaka in 2006 but was known as “Boutique Tribe” then. With all their piercers highly trained in each piercing procedure, healing aftercare and troubleshooting, the customers’ wellbeing are always prioritized by the staff of Attic.
1. The first step of the piercing process in Attic is simple enough, choose the jewellery of choice. Whether it’s made of surgical steel or titanium, or it’s a straight/curved/circular barbell in style, don’t hesitate to ask your piercer for his/her recommendation as they will know which jewellery will ensure an easy healing process. After that, you’ll be made to sign a release form (if you’re under 18, you’ll need a parent’s or guardian’s signature).
2. And you’re off! To a private & closed-off area of the shop for the piercer to work their magic. You’ll be sat on the stool and be briefly explained about the process. The piercer will then also sanitize your ear.
3. Marking your ear (or whatever body part you choose to pierce), the piercer will show you first the position and you’re free to adjust it lower or higher. Of course, if the piercer thinks your desire position will cause any problem, they’ll inform you (if it’s too high or low) first. But if you don’t mind about those issues, they’ll do what you wish either way.
4. Once everything is agreed on, the piercer will use a numbing spray (hello childhood PTSD!) and pierce the spot then insert the jewellery!
5. Ta-da, simple, you have a piercing! The piercer will then wipe off any excess blood or fluid then brief you on the aftercare.
Attic has always ensured a quick & fuss-free piercing procedure. However, they also still continue the usage of piercing guns. Piercing guns have always been an iffy subject amongst the piercing community around the world so we at The Cool Bears are still hesitant about promoting a store that still encourages a non-sterile method but as long as you steer clear of any guns, Attic will be your more convenient & best bet to getting a piercing in KL!
Sunway Pyramid: F1.AV.151, 3, Jalan PJS 11/15, Bandar Sunway, 47500
One Utama: F103, FIRST FLOOR (OLD WING ONE UTAMA SHOPPING CENTRE Bandar Utama, City Centre, 47800
Sunway Pyramid: Monday – Sunday: 10 am – 10pm
One Utama: Sunday – Thursday: 10am – 10pm, Friday – Saturday: 10am – 10:30pm
2. Spec Body Art (Tattoo & Piercing)
Spec in Sungei Wang Plaza
With the experience of over 15 years, Ronny (the owner & head piercer) of Spec will definitely guarantee a pleasant piercing experience and the once nerve-wracking sterile studio will feel like a second home. Having two main branches in Sungei Wang Plaza and SS15, Subang Jaya, don’t worry about making appointments beforehand, all piercings just require you to walk-in. Not only does Spec have the essential array of jewellery for you to choose from, they recently also brought in special anodizing titanium jewellery that can change to a variety of colours, depending on your choice.
Example of a Titantium Barbell, from Spec’s Instagram
Much like Attic, Spec’s piercing process is pretty similar:
1. Choose the jewellery then sign a release form.
2. You’ll be laid down and the piercer will start sterilizing and cleaning your desired pierced body part.
3. The piercer will mark your ear and just like in Attic, you are freely allowed to change it up if so desired.
4. Asking you to breathe in slowly, the piercer will insert the needle in and asking you to breathe out slowly, they’ll place the jewellery in and slide the needle out in a swift motion.
5. Once the needle is out, the jewellery will be fitted in properly.
6. Then, the piercer will wipe off any excess blood and fluids and spray your fresh piercing with saline solution.
Although the process in both shops is pretty similar, Spec’s piercers will get more involved and personable once you enter the shop, expressing any interest in getting a piercing. Forgoing a businesslike approach that seems too brisk or too “let’s just get this over with” the piercers at Spec really care about each of their customers.
Even before starting the procedure, they’ll ask if you’ve eaten or drank anything yet and if the answer is no, they’ll give you a juice box to fill up your stomach (It’s inadvisable to get pierced with an empty stomach in case you faint or get too light-headed). Their passion for the art of piercing is really evident in their interaction with customers and they get excited when asked any questions relating to piercing or even body art.
Sungei Wang Plaza: Lot S130 , 2nd Floor Sungei Wang Plaza, 50250 Kuala Lumpur
SS15, Subang Jaya: 1st Floor, 90A, Jalan SS 15/4, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor
Sungei Wang Plaza: Tuesday – Sunday: 1 – 9pm (Tuesdays closed)
SS15, Subang Jaya: Tuesday – Sunday: 2 – 9pm (Tuesdays closed)
The price differences in both shops:
Of course, at the end of the day, it’s a personal preference on what piercing studio you wish to go for. So keeping this list in mind, search up on other online reviews. Also, don’t be shy to visit Attic or Spec just to get information in person and to see which piercer will give you the most comfort. There’s no need to rush when it comes to body modifications, it’s 100% your choice and decision.